If you have followed my recommendations on the best way to take notes in college, you now have some great notes that you have written. Having good notes to study from is great, but do you know the best way to study? It is by teaching others what you learned. In this blog, I will show you how to create a training video to teach others using Powerpoint.
Choosing a Design Template
When it comes to choosing a PowerPoint design template, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First of all, you need to make sure that the template you choose is compatible with the version of PowerPoint you’re using. Secondly, you need to decide what kind of design you’re looking for. Do you want something simple and clean, or something more elaborate? I’d go for simple if you ask me.
Once you’ve taken those factors into consideration, it’s time to start browsing through templates! You can use one of the default ones available in PowerPoint or you may search the web to see what’s out there. Some templates are free while others you may have to buy. Once you’ve found a few that you like, download them and give them a try. Keep in consideration the look and feel of the color and font, and how they will appear on the slide show.
Choosing the Right Color Combination
You want to use colors that are easy on the eyes and don’t clash. I suggest using high-contrast colors (light text on a dark background or vice versa) to make your text easy to read. Black text on a white background is the most common and easiest to read. Other high-contrast color combinations include dark blue on a light yellow background, or black on a yellow, orange, or pale green background.
Creating Your Slides
Creating slides is easy with the help of Microsoft PowerPoint. With PowerPoint, you can create engaging and professional-looking slideshows in minutes. Here are the basics:
To create a new slide: Right-click the first slide and select “new slide”
To add text: Just start typing in the box where you see “Click to add”
To add other stuff: Select the “Insert” tab in the menu bar to add tables, charts, images, and videos. These may also be added by clicking one of the icons shown below. You will see these on blank slides.
Add notes to your PowerPoint by clicking the icon that says “notes” at the bottom of the screen and start typing. Notes can be used as a teleprompter to help you create a clean professional-sounding narration during your video. Make sure that your notes are in your own words and that you are not just copying verbatim from a textbook.
Here are a few tips for creating effective slides:
- Use high-quality images: Your PowerPoint video may be played on a big screen, so make sure the images you use are high resolution and look great at full size.
- Keep it simple: Don’t try to cram too much information onto each slide. A few bullet points or short sentences are all you need.
- Use transitions sparingly: Too many transitions can be distracting and take away from your message. Use them sparingly, and only when they add something to the presentation.
Once you’ve created all of your slides, it’s time to add video and audio.
Record Your Voiceover Narration
To record your voiceover narration, go to the “Record” tab on the menu bar. It will give you the option to record from the beginning or on the current slide.
Once you click one of those options, it will take you to a window that looks like this (below). Here you can click the red record button to start talking. If you don’t want to show your face, you can click the video icon to turn off the video.
The nice thing about making videos using PowerPoint is that you are creating tiny videos or audio one slide at a time. If you are overly conscious about how one of them turned out, you can simply delete and do that one over instead of redoing the whole thing.
Export Your PowerPoint
You may choose to keep your presentation in PowerPoint format or you may convert it to MP4 video format. Take advantage of this feature in Microsoft PowerPoint. With an MP4 file, you can easily sell it as is, add it to social media, or upload it to your youtube channel.
Best practices To Keep In Mind When Developing PowerPoint Presentations
- Keep it simple: A PowerPoint presentation should be easy to follow and understand. Avoid using too many slides or including too much information on each slide.
- Use high-quality images: Images can help make your presentation more visually appealing and easier to understand. Be sure to use high-quality, professional images that are relevant to your topic.
- Use clear and concise text: Make sure your text is easy to read by using a large font size and avoiding dense paragraphs of text. Keep your language clear and concise.
- Highlight key points: Use bullet points or other visual elements to highlight the most important points of your presentation. This will help ensure that your audience understands the main takeaways from your presentation.
- Practice beforehand: Before giving your presentation, be sure to practice it several times. This will help you become more comfortable with the material and ensure that the delivery is smooth and well-organized.
Creating a PowerPoint video presentation can seem intimidating, but it doesn’t have to be. With the right tools and guidance, you can easily create professional-looking presentations that are sure to wow your audience while helping you to reinforce the information that you have learned. Now go ahead and practice. Once you have created a polished product, upload it to Food Science Toolbox and put it to work for you.